What it means to be GOTS Certified Organic
The Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) is the worldwide leading textile processing standard for organic fibers, including ecological and social criteria, backed up by independent certification of the entire textile supply chain.
AIM: The aim of the standard is to define world-wide recognized requirements that ensure organic status of textiles, from harvesting of the raw materials, through environmentally and socially responsible manufacturing up to labelling in order to provide a credible assurance to the end consumer. Textile processors and manufacturers are enabled to export their organic fabrics and garments with one certification accepted in all major markets.
CRITERIA: Global Standard itself focuses on compulsory criteria only - covers the processing, manufacturing, packaging, labelling, trading and distribution of all textiles made from at least 70% certified organic natural fibers. The final products may include, but are not limited to fiber products, yarns, fabrics, clothes and home textiles.
FIBER PRODUCTION: A textile product carrying the GOTS label grade ‘organic’ must contain a minimum of 95% certified organic fibers whereas a product with the label grade ‘made with organic’ must contain a minimum of 70% certified organic fibers.
- At all stages through the processing organic fiber products must be separated from conventional fiber products and must be clearly identified
- All chemical inputs (e.g. dyes, auxiliaries and process chemicals) must be evaluated and meeting basic requirements on toxicity and biodegradability/eliminability
- Prohibition of critical inputs such as toxic heavy metals, formaldehyde, aromatic solvents, functional nano particles, genetically modified organisms (GMO) and their enzymes
- The use of synthetic sizing agents is restricted; knitting and weaving oils must not contain heavy metals
- Bleaches must be based on oxygen (no chlorine bleaching)
- Azo dyes that release carcinogenic amine compounds are prohibited
- Discharge printing methods using aromatic solvents and plastisol printing methods using phthalates and PVC are prohibited
- Restrictions for accessories (e.g. no PVC, nickel or chrome permitted)
- All operators must have an environmental policy including target goals and procedures to minimize waste and discharges
- Wet processing units must keep full records of the use of chemicals, energy, water consumption and waste water treatment, including the disposal of sludge. The waste water from all wet processing units must be treated in a functional waste water treatment plant.
- Packaging material must not contain PVC. Paper or cardboard used in packaging material, hang tags, swing tags etc. must be recycled or certified according to FSC or PEFC
TECHNICAL QUALITY AND HUMAN TOXICITY CRITERIA: Technical quality parameters must be met. Raw materials, intermediates, final textile products as well as accessories must meet stringent limits regarding unwanted residues.
- Social criteria based on the key norms of the International Labor Organization (ILO) must be met by all processors and manufacturers.
- Employment is freely chosen
- Freedom of association and the right to collective bargaining are respected
- Working conditions are safe and hygienic
- Child labor must not be used
- Living wages
- Working hours are not excessive
- No discrimination is practiced
- Regular employment is provided
- Harsh or inhumane treatment is prohibited
QUALITY ASSURANCE SYSTEM: GOTS relies on a dual system to check compliance with the relevant criteria consisting of on-site auditing and residue testing.
All of our CARE BY ME cotton products are 100% GOTS Certified Organic Cotton. We have both Home and Clothing collections made in our soft cotton:
Kathrine Kimono, Lina Clothing & Bedding, North Cable Pillows & Throws, Stripe Pillows & Throws, Tube Pillow, Veronica Bedding, Vivienne Clothing
For additional information pertaining to GOTS: